Friday, June 24, 2011

Week , almost over...

By Tayler Clemm
Edited by Mr. Moreland

Well it is day four and we are approaching the end of the week. We have experienced all of the rice and beans that Ticos can offer, we have been in some of the strongest storms, and we have built roads in some of the highest temperatures. But we have yet to see so many other things that Costa Rica has to offer.

So far, one of the biggest impacts that will change me when I return to the U.S is the visit to La Carpio. The people in La Carpio were so deep with their words, and in a way with their actions that it inspired you to want to help any way that you could. The way one of the community's members, named Rosario, spoke about the importance of her family and community and what little work that we did complete helped them in so many ways made me feel really important. As I walked away from the work site I felt that we didn't complete as much work as we should have for how many people that was there. I underestimated our contribution since they appreciated our work so much.

One event that really touched me was one the little girls of La Carpio. She was less than 10 and she chose to help mix concrete with us both days. She didn't have to be there but she chose to get dirty and build these roads. It was on overall life changing experience and hopefully I could go back to America with a different outlook on life.

There is so much more to experience in these next couple of days and I hope that it only gets better and more inspiring.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like a wonderful, moving experience. I am glad you are opening your eyes and your mind to a new culture and I hope the experience does stay with you. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

    ReplyDelete